Located on the corner of McCormick and Martinson Streets, the McCormick Building is a proud landmark of the community it has served since 1890. At that time it was a four-room structure, two rooms on the first floor and two on the second. Proudfoot and Bird were the architects for the building and William Dunscombe was the contractor. Built of stone from the Middleton quarry at Augusta, Kansas, the workmen used block and tackle with chains to lift the stones in place in the building. It is interesting to note that the stones for the Old City Building and Courthouse were brought from the same quarry at the same time.
The school was completed November 3, 1890, and was the seventeenth elementary school building in the Wichita system. The school was named for McCormick Avenue, which had been named for the John McCormick family who were early settlers.
For additional information on the McCormick School Museum, please see the web pages listed below.